Saturday, September 14, 2013

The land of puffins, fermented shark, and so much more..

I cannot express how thankful I am to Bon Iver for posting his music video for "holocene" on apple itv and the fact that I randomly stumbled upon it one day when we didn't have cable. Iceland is so frikkin cool... So far we have gone sightseeing in Reykjavik, met some really nice locals (I've found every person I've met here to be SUPER nice and happy...which is awesome), stayed in one of their homes (courtesy of airbnb.com), traveled to Vik, and hiked up a mountain. Most of these things I did in the same outfit that I left the states in on Thursday.

When I said the anticipation was building, well, it built up until we were 2 hours delayed in Chicago, which in turn led us to sprint from the terminal "B" at Boston Logan Int'l Airport to the "E" terminal, only to be met by a grouchy TSA lady and then a nice one who allowed us to scoot through security as our names were being called over the intercom, which then allowed me to run shoeless to the gate and met by a very kind IcelandicAir flight attendant with a bottle of Icelandic water in hand for me. Phew! Talk about an adrenaline rush! Paul and I were so worried that we would miss our flight. We made it by the skin of our teeth. Needless to say, our sprinting efforts allowed us to board the flight...our bags, not so much. Didn't get them until 9 this morning.

Now we are enjoying the beautiful scenery. It's hard to describe in words just how gorgeous this place is... The soaring black mountains covered in bright green moss and grass are all around you, some of them look alive as geothermal steam squeaks out the top.. It is so cool. My only regret so far is that we didn't rent a car.. There is public transport here buuut the stops are often far from the really neat places to visit, which makes it impossible to visit (unless I wanted to walk with my huge backpack...nah.) I'm not sure where we are headed to next... We may stop in Skogar to see this awesome waterfall that you can stand behind.. The Icelandic story  is that this is the only place in the world where a woman can propose marriage to a man...not that I have that to worry about! ;)

More to come.... 

MC
Tree Pose on top of a cliff and Wheel in front of the arch formation... I had to do it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment