Sunday, November 3, 2013

Highland Coos!!

I want one of these, and I have done since I first came to Scotland when I was 12. Here we are stopped along the road in the Scottish highlands. I had done research to see what treats they like and I happened to have apples in my bag. Turns out this one didn't like apples. I still talked to it though. One day I think I need to be a farmer. I can have cows, highland coos, Icelandic horses, and all the other cool animals I meet on our trip at our farm. One day....

These particular coos were organic, as I saw on the gate where they lived. My coos would be organic too, but I'd only use them as pets. I'm sure they taste great but they are too cute to eat!





To learn more about these furry cows, go here: http://a-z-animals.com/animals/highland-cattle/

The way we went up to Scotland was different than the route we took home. The route up passed through Gretna Green, which was famously known as the town of marriage. People used to elope to Scotland because a blacksmith could perform the ceremony, funnily. So we stopped at Gretna Green and pretended to exchange vows on the way up.. There was no blacksmith there at the time so we couldn't officially renew them, but it was funny to see all the little chapels where you could get married if you wanted to. 
 The way home from Scotland, however, was much different. Though it took longer, we got to see Loch Ness and more of the highlands (including the resident highland coos). Here's some pictures from the drive home. We went through sun, wind, rain, sleet, and even snow. It was an adventure to say the least, driving along winding country roads in the mountains.
Loch Ness - photos don't really do it justice as it's the biggest lake in the UK.
White out!

We also stopped in Wigan on the way home and although it was dark, I got to see the house where my Nana lived as a young girl with my great grandmother before she joined the Army in WW2.. She used to work on the tanks. She's still a firecracker! :) We drove all around the town searching for the pub my family used to own and a chapel where my Nana went. It was really cool to see her old house and learn some of my family history. We spent almost 11 hours in the car, but it was worth it. I only wish our pictures came out better as it was dark and pouring rain!



No comments:

Post a Comment