Sunday, January 26, 2014

10 days in an ashram. Ommmmm

For the past 10 days I have been secluded in paradise, surrounded by trees, lakes and nature in southern India. Neyaar Dam, located in Kerala, is just far enough away from a major city that you don't hear the constant beeps and honks from cars or have to breathe in smog. It is pristine and beautiful, with vistas that make you want to just sit and stare. This is where the Sivananda ashram is located, and where I have slept, showered, socialized, eaten, and practiced for over a week.

We arrived about 11:30 am from Trivandrum on the 16th, and since then we have been doing 4 hours of yoga everyday (except Fridays, when we get to go on a organized day trip)! We have been sleeping in separate dorms, but since the ashram is so full, Paul has been on a mattress on the floor in the temple, and I was on a mattress on the floor above the Ayurvedic health center... There have been over 400 people here during our stay.. I was not anticipating that many people to be here! 300 something teacher training students and the rest "yoga vacationers"... The accomodations are busting at the seams!

Our typical day was like this: wake up at 5:20am (I always seemed to be wide awake at 5 when the Hindu music from the temple down the road started blasting.. Everywhere in India there are huge speakers pumping out songs.. It's like you have a soundtrack everywhere you go). Get dressed, head to satsang where we meditated for 30 minutes, chanted kirtan songs, and had a little talk.. This lasted 1.5 hours.

Then at 7:30 we met around this big tree and had tea time to perk us up before practicing at 8 am sharp..We practiced for 2 hours, including 30 minutes of pranayama (breathing exercises) 1 hour 15 minutes of asana practice, and then 15 minutes of relaxation.

At 10 am we head to brunch, where we ate typical dishes from Kerala, such as savory coconut curries with rice or another sort of starch. We sat on the floor on a long straw mat, sitting cross legged, and ate with our hands. We also ate in silence, so the energy from talking would be "used for digestion". Some of the dishes we had were amazing.. We ate off these big metal plates with little compartments for different dishes.. A big part for rice and curry, then 4 little parts for condiments, a little sweet made from tapioca, fruit, or salad. I cannot complain about the food... And I have actually started to prefer eating only twice a day with a little snack around 2.

After lunch, we had to do karma yoga..which is where you give selfless service for the betterment of the community. We had various jobs while in the ashram, luckily we didn't have to clean toilets! The first day, we stacked wood that the kitchen uses to cook. The rest of our stay, we used straw hand brooms to sweep leaves off the lakeside yoga area. It was nice to be by the water, and it was a quick and easy job.

We had some free time after karma yoga, where we could relax. A few times we got an out pass and headed to the lake for a swim. It's rumored that there are crocodiles in the lake, but according to the locals we met, it's not true. It was a good way to move the body in other ways than just doing yoga.. I'm dying for a run right about now.. It's been almost 12 days!

At 1:30 we headed back to the Tea Tree for another tea time and little snack.. This was usually some kind of fruit. One day we had a huge fried banana. I was not a fan, but I did enjoy the nice fruit bowls we had every now and then.

From 2-3:30 pm we had a lecture, where a staff member would have a talk about the Sivanada philosophy and history, chanting mantras, asana benefits, or other topics. I will say that this style of yoga is different from what I have done for years.. It has it's own beliefs and class structure, which I learned a lot about. I found it interesting to see how it compares to the style I learned in my teacher training. I have a lot to tell Terri about back at Mindful Motion Yoga! Some things I agreed with, some things I did not, and I have a lot of questions to discuss in regards to anatomy and safety.. Overall though, I feel satisfied with the knowledge I have gained from the classes and lectures.

After the lecture, we headed back to another asana practice for 2 hours. Then it was time for a much needed dinner at 6pm, usually the same style of food as lunch.. I personally found the brunch to be much better than the dinner, so after dinner we would make our way to the Health Hut, a little gem of a snack bar where you could purchase nice hot teas, fruit, smoothies, or other treats. This was a nice way to sit and chat with all the wonderful people we have met during our stay here, or get a little treat after dinner. (Healthy, of course!)

At 8pm we would head back to the large hall where we would have Satsang again.. Another 30 minutes of meditation, then hour of singing kirtan mantras and a talk based on Sivananda philosophy. Sometimes this was hard to sit through.. I have definitely gained strength in my supportive back muscles from having to sit cross legged on the floor for 4 hours a day.

After satsang, I would head back to my "dorm", have a cold shower (no hot water here!) and get ready for bed. Lights out was at 10:30, but more times than not I was snoozing by 9:45 easily. A good nights sleep and then wake up bright and early the next day to do it all again! 

I have joked with my roommates that this ashram reminds me of "summer camp for adults". We have a jam packed schedule, strict entry/exit policy, rules about clothing and using technology, sit around and sing songs, share showers and bathrooms, eat together in a dining hall, are awoken by a bell, have "lights out", and get to enjoy nature. Want to get back to your childlike state? Book a stay in an ashram and you are good to go.

That's all for now.... You get an idea of what we have been doing, on the 18 hour train journey we have ahead of us, I will go into more detail about things I enjoyed, things that surprised me, and places we have gone, such as a trip to the Backwaters and the Jungle. We have made some great friends and gotten to know some really cool people here.. 

It was been nice to get away from news, current events, (yes, I did hear about Bieber thanks to those who did utilize the wifi I was surprised to see at the ashram) technology, Facebook, and all the things that distract me from really taking every moment in and doing things that really matter. Of course, I have missed talking to loved ones or seeing what people I care about have been doing, but to really disconnect from technology and the "real world" for a week has been nice. That, and the total lack of toxins that have entered my body..I feel rejuvenated and wonderful! Too bad we are heading to a place known for boozing and parties..Let's get real, we are meeting our newfound friends Steph and Pete at a place called "Cocktails and Dreams" in Palolem as soon as we arrive to Goa. It is difficult to refrain from these certain social gatherings while traveling, especially when you want to hang out with the cool people you meet.. But, I have felt how good it feels to be mentally and physically purified, and will be much more mindful in the future and when we return from our trip. It's all about balance! I am excited to see our friends and Ian and Celia very soon!

Until next time,

MC 

No comments:

Post a Comment